Thursday, June 2, 2016

Two Months, Post 2

...so those tender mercies came with a stipulation.

About a month after her birth, my father-in-law, who had been diagnosed with both esophageal and bile duct (liver) cancer in May 2015, had finished chemo and radiation a few weeks previously.  But now he was sicker. He had been in the hospital while they tried to help his body kick the pneumonia he had contracted.  I wasn't there and honestly, the details are now fuzzy, but he was placed on hospice after a abscess developed on one of his lungs.  Basically, it was a hole in his lungs and a quick means to the end.

I knew things weren't good when he enjoyed hospice. On April 18th, my children called my FIL and talked to him for 14 minutes and 17 seconds.

And that was the last time, we would see him alive. He died the morning of April 22, 2016.

Just writing this makes the tears flow and my heart ache. I miss him. I loved that man.

My husband and I (and #5) we enroute. We had just landed in Atlanta when we got the news.

All week, he knew we were coming and he kept asking everyone, "Is it Friday yet?"  And they'd answer, "no".

He made it to Friday.  Just that thought brings peace to my soul.

My husband was asked to go through his financial stuff.  That included his iPad. I will never forget this memory.  It is burned in my heart and mind. We were standing in my inlaws kitchen, and his eyes, so bloodshot from crying so much, looked at me.  He turned the iPad around to show me this: the last photo my Father-in-law ever looked at alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment